An Official Statistics publication for Scotland
Patients diagnosed between October 2017 and September 2020
- 14 September 2021 (Latest release)
- Statistical report
- Public Health Scotland
About this release
This release by Public Health Scotland (PHS) presents performance against the National Cervical Cancer Quality Performance Indicators (QPIs) in the Cancer QPIs dashboard held within the Scottish Cancer Registry and Intelligence Service (SCRIS).
- There were 273 women diagnosed with Cervical Cancer in Scotland over the period October 2019 to September 2020. This is a reduction from previous years (310 and 309 women were diagnosed in October 2018 to September 2019 and October 2017 to September 2018, respectively).
- Preliminary examination of October 2019 to September 2020 data is variable between networks and it is expected that the impact of COVID will be clarified in future cohorts.
- At Scotland level for October 2019 to September 2020, the target was met in five of the eight indicators with three below target.
- Of the three indicators below target in October 2019 to September 2020, two were narrowly missed and perhaps demonstrates that clinical standards have largely been met despite the start of the pandemic.
National cancer quality performance indicators have been developed to support continuous quality improvement in cancer care. NHS Boards are required to report these indicators against a clinically agreed indicator specific target as part of the mandatory national cancer quality programme. They have been developed collaboratively by the North Cancer Alliance (external website), South East Scotland Cancer Network (external website), West of Scotland Cancer Network (external website), Healthcare Improvement Scotland (external website) and PHS.
The Cancer QPIs are located within the SCRIS dashboard, thus bringing all the cancer data together in the one place. Access to the Cancer QPIs dashboard is restricted and is accessible via the NHS NSS User Access System (external website).
For further information please refer to the West of Scotland Cancer (WoSCAN) and North Cancer Alliance (NCA) published reports.
Cervical Cancer Indicators
The QPIs titles, measurability specifications and indicated targets detailing the Cervical Cancer indicators are available from Healthcare Improvement Scotland.
Cancer Quality Performance Indicators
Find more information on cancer QPIs on the Data and intelligence website (external website).
The Scottish Government website has more information on the National Cancer Quality Programme - Scottish Government letter CEL 06 2012.
The next release of this publication will be in September 2024.
If you have an enquiry relating to this publication, please contact email@example.com.
If you have a media enquiry relating to this publication, please contact the Communications and Engagement team.
Requesting other formats and reporting issues
If you require publications or documents in other formats, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To report any issues with a publication, please email email@example.com.
Older versions of this publication
Versions of this publication released before 16 March 2020 may be found on the Data and Intelligence, Health Protection Scotland or Improving Health websites.