About this release
This weekly release by Public Health Scotland presents data on COVID-19 across NHSScotland.
- As at 12 September 2021, there have been 508,940 confirmed COVID-19 cases; 33,431 of these were recorded in the most recent week, a decrease of 24.9% from the previous week.
- In the week ending 12 September 2021, 34,730 individuals were recorded in the contact tracing software, from which 31,645 unique contacts have been traced.
- In the week ending 12 September 2021, under the Community Testing Programme 22.7% of symptomatic and 9.4% of asymptomatic tests for COVID-19 were positive.
- In the week ending 07 September 2021, there were 952 admissions to hospital with a laboratory confirmed test of COVID-19. The highest number of new admissions are now in those aged 80+.
- The proportion of all people who were admitted to hospital within 14 days of a laboratory confirmed COVID-19 positive test has declined, from 13% in the week ending 31 January 2021, to 2% in the most recent week ending 29 August 2021.
- The number of new admissions to Intensive Care Units (ICUs) for confirmed COVID-19 patients has increased from 50 in the week ending 04 September 2021, to 81 in the week ending 11 September 2021.
- In the week ending 12 September 2021 there were 57,128 people who arrived in Scotland from outside the UK, of which 9,120 were required to quarantine (with 740 quarantined in a hotel).
- By the 14th August 2021, 69% of those in prison on that day had been vaccinated with a first dose, compared to 68% among general population matched controls. By the same date, 42% of those in prison had received a second dose, compared to 49% among general population matched controls.
Additional charts and data are available to view in the interactive dashboard accompanying this report.
Wider impact detailed analysis
The response to the COVID-19 pandemic is likely to have a wider impact on health and care as a result of the lockdown, economic pressures and changes to health services.
A range of analyses on the impact of COVID-19 across aspects of NHS Scotland is available on the interactive information tool (external website).
Since the start of the outbreak, Public Health Scotland (PHS) has been working closely with the Scottish Government and health and care colleagues to support the surveillance and monitoring of COVID-19 amongst the population. There is a large amount of data being regularly published regarding COVID-19. For example, Coronavirus in Scotland – Scottish Government (external website) and Deaths involving coronavirus in Scotland – National Records of Scotland (external website). This report complements the range of existing data currently available.
The next release of this publication will be 22 September 2021.
Find out more
- weekly COVID-19 statistical data in Scotland
- COVID-19 vaccination in Scotland
- COVID-19 dashboard
- Enhanced surveillance of COVID-19 in Scotland
- Hospital onset COVID-19 cases in Scotland
Access the COVID-19 dashboard for the following information:
- daily COVID-19 positive cases and deaths by health board and local
- daily hospital admissions and ICU admissions at Scotland level
- data on vaccinations from 26 February 2021
There is a large amount of data being regularly published regarding COVID-19 – for example, Coronavirus in Scotland on the Scottish Government website (external website) and deaths involving coronavirus in Scotland on the National Records of Scotland (external website).
COVID-19 in pregnancy in Scotland
The 11 May 2022 COVID-19 statistical report contains information on COVID-19 infection and vaccination in pregnancy in Scotland.
View information about the COVID-19 Infection Survey (external website) – this represents the single biggest expansion to date of asymptomatic testing for surveillance purposes in the pandemic and is being conducted by the Office for National Statistics (ONS) and the University of Oxford, on behalf of the UK and The Scottish Government.
Highest risk (shielding) list
The 02 March 2022 COVID-19 statistical report contains information relating to shielding patients.
The COVID-19 statistical report interactive dashboard was updated on 18 May 2022 to include more recent information relating to ethnicity of COVID-19 positives
If you have an enquiry relating to this publication, please email email@example.com.
If you have a media enquiry relating to this publication, please contact the Communications and Engagement team.
Requesting other formats and reporting issues
If you require publications or documents in other formats, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To report any issues with a publication, please email email@example.com.