About this release
This weekly release by Public Health Scotland presents data on COVID-19 across NHSScotland.
Please note: The full report was revised on 20 August 2020. A footnote has been added to ensure clarity around the reporting period for the latest week for Quarantining Statistics. The weekly statistics reports the latest 8 days rather than one week.
- Between 28 May to 16 August 2020, 1,835 individuals were recorded in the contact tracing software, from which 7,449 contacts have been traced.
- As at 16 August 2020, there have been 19,358 confirmed COVID-19 cases, equating to 354 confirmed cases per 100,000 population.
- As at 16 August 2020, 408,770 people in Scotland have tested negative.
- Between 1 March 2020 and 12 August 2020, there had been 5,959 admissions to hospital with a laboratory confirmed test of COVID-19.
- As at 16 August 2020, 535 confirmed COVID-19 patients have been treated in an Intensive Care Unit. In the last week there were 2 patients who have ever been confirmed COVID-19 that were admitted to ICU.
- There were 151,008 people who arrived in Scotland from outside the UK from 22 June to 16 August, of which 36,826 were required to quarantine and 3,614 were contacted by the National Contact Tracing Centre.
Wider impact detailed analysis
The response to the COVID-19 pandemic is likely to have a wider impact on health and care as a result of the lockdown, economic pressures and changes to health services.
A range of analyses on the impact of COVID-19 across aspects of NHS Scotland is available on the interactive information tool (external website).
On 1 March 2020, the first person in Scotland was tested positive for COVID-19. On the 17 March NHS Scotland was placed in an emergency footing by the Cabinet Secretary. Schools closed on 20 March and the country went into lockdown on 23 March. Scotland entered phase one of easing out of lockdown on 29 May, phase two on 19 June and phase three on 10 July. Schools started to re-open from 11 August.
Since the start of the outbreak, Public Health Scotland (PHS) has been working closely with the Scottish Government and health and care colleagues to support the surveillance and monitoring of COVID-19 amongst the population. There is a large amount of data being regularly published regarding COVID-19, for example, Coronavirus in Scotland – Scottish Government (external website) and Deaths involving coronavirus in Scotland – National Records of Scotland (external website). This report complements the range of existing data currently available.
Find out more
- weekly COVID-19 statistical data in Scotland
- COVID-19 vaccination in Scotland
- Daily COVID-19 dashboard
- Enhanced surveillance of COVID-19 in Scotland
- Hospital onset COVID-19 cases in Scotland
COVID-19 daily dashboard
Access the COVID-19 daily dashboard for the following information:
- daily COVID-19 positive cases and deaths by health board and local
- daily hospital admissions and ICU admissions at Scotland level
- data on vaccinations from 26 February 2021
There is a large amount of data being regularly published regarding COVID-19 – for example, Coronavirus in Scotland on the Scottish Government website (external website) and deaths involving coronavirus in Scotland on the National Records of Scotland (external website).
COVID-19 in pregnancy in Scotland
The 8 December 2021 COVID-19 statistical report contains information on COVID-19 infection and vaccination in pregnancy in Scotland.
View information about the COVID-19 Infection Survey (external website) – this represents the single biggest expansion to date of asymptomatic testing for surveillance purposes in the pandemic and is being conducted by the Office for National Statistics (ONS) and the University of Oxford, on behalf of the UK and The Scottish Government.
The 10 June 2020 COVID-19 statistical report contains information relating to shielding patients.
The 27 October 2021 COVID-19 statistical report contains information relating to ethnicity of COVID-19 positives.
If you have an enquiry relating to this publication, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have a media enquiry relating to this publication, please contact the Communications and Engagement team.
Requesting other formats and reporting issues
If you require publications or documents in other formats, please email email@example.com.
To report any issues with a publication, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.