About this release
This weekly release by Public Health Scotland presents data on COVID-19 across NHSScotland.
REVISION 18 February 2022: The 'COVID-19 Cases, Hospitalisations, and Deaths by Vaccine Status' sections were revised (page 34). Due to an analytic error, the previous five weeks of case numbers and age-standardised case rates have included PCR-confirmed cases for ages 15 years old and over, rather than the intended 10 years old and over. This has decreased the unvaccinated case numbers substantially. Table 14 and Figure 13 in the 'COVID-19 Cases, Hospitalisations, and Deaths by Vaccine Status' section contains the correct numbers.
- As at 16 January 2022, there have been 1,097,158 confirmed COVID-19 cases; 27,944 of these were recorded in the most recent week, a decrease of 65.2% from the previous week
- There has been a 7.1% increase in the number of Lateral Flow Device (LFD) asymptomatic tests carried out in the last week. There have been 20,098,516 LFD tests carried out in Scotland since 19 November 2020, of which 222,827 were positive (1.1%)
- On 05 January 2022, the Scottish Government announced that asymptomatic people who return a positive lateral flow test (LFT) will no longer have to confirm their positive result with a PCR test. From 06 January 2022 to 16 January 2022 there have been 123,573 people in Scotland who have tested positive for COVID-19 on either a PCR or LFD test.
- In the week ending 09 January 2022, 87,243 individuals were recorded in the contact tracing software, from which 53,517 unique contacts have been traced
- In the week ending 11 January 2022, there were 1,040 admissions to hospital with a laboratory confirmed test of COVID-19, a decrease of 4% from the previous week. The highest number of new admissions are now in those aged 80+
- The proportion of all people who were admitted to hospital within 14 days of a laboratory confirmed COVID-19 positive test has declined, from 12% in the week ending 31 January 2021, to 1% in the most recent week ending 02 January 2022
- In the week ending 16 January 2022 there were 31 new admissions to Intensive Care Units (ICUs) for confirmed COVID-19. This is an decrease of 46.3% from the week ending 09 January 2022
Additional charts and data are available to view in the interactive dashboard accompanying this report.
Wider impact detailed analysis
The response to the COVID-19 pandemic is likely to have a wider impact on health and care as a result of the lockdown, economic pressures and changes to health services.
A range of analyses on the impact of COVID-19 across aspects of NHS Scotland is available on the interactive information tool.
Since the start of the outbreak, Public Health Scotland (PHS) has been working closely with the Scottish Government and health and care colleagues to support the surveillance and monitoring of COVID-19 amongst the population. There is a large amount of data being regularly published regarding COVID-19 (for example, Coronavirus in Scotland – Scottish Government and Deaths involving coronavirus in Scotland – National Records of Scotland). This report complements the range of existing data currently available.
The next release of this publication will be 26 January 2022.
Find out more
Versions of the Weekly national respiratory report publication released before 30 November 2022 may be found on the Public Health Scotland website
Versions of the COVID-19 weekly statistical report publication released before 30 November 2022 may be found on the Public Health Scotland website
Open data from this publication is available from the following weblinks:
- COVID-19 Open Data platform
- Respiratory Open Data platform
- Flu and COVID Vaccination Uptake Open Data platform
- 11 September 2023 SARS-CoV-2 BA.2.86 variant in Scotland - weekly update
- The Flu and COVID vaccination uptake in Scotland dashboard was updated on 6 July 2023 with the most recent information.
- The COVID-19 in Adult Care Homes in Scotland datafile was updated on 27 July 2023 to include more recent information.
- Ethnicity Data: The COVID-19 & Respiratory Surveillance in Scotland interactive dashboard was updated on 31 August 2023 to include more recent information relating to ethnicity of COVID-19 hospital admissions.
- 28 September 2022 COVID-19 statistical report publication contains information on COVID-19 infection and vaccination in pregnancy in Scotland.
- 2 March 2022 COVID-19 statistical report publication contains information on Highest Risk (shielding patients list)
If you have an enquiry relating to this publication, please email email@example.com.
If you have a media enquiry relating to this publication, please contact the Communications and Engagement team.
Requesting other formats and reporting issues
If you require publications or documents in other formats, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To report any issues with a publication, please email email@example.com.