About this release
This weekly release by Public Health Scotland presents data on COVID-19 across NHS Scotland.
- In Scotland, in the week ending 29 September 2022, the estimated number of people testing positive for COVID-19 was 109,700 (95% credible interval: 90,400 to 131,200), equating to 2.08% of the population, or around 1 in 50 people (Source: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Infection Survey, UK - Office for National Statistics)
- In the week ending 16 October 2022, there were on average 875 patients in hospital with COVID-19, a 3.9% increase from the previous week ending 09 October 2022 (842)
- In the week ending 16 October 2022 there were 12 new admissions to Intensive Care Units (ICUs) with a laboratory confirmed test of COVID-19, a decrease of 7 from the previous week (09 October 2022)
- In the week ending 09 October 2022, there were 36 deaths involving COVID-19 (9 fewer than the previous week) (Source: National Records of Scotland)
- By week ending 16 October 2022 of the 871,124 people vaccinated for COVID-19 as part of the Winter 2022 vaccination programme, 93.9% were vaccinated for Flu at the same vaccination appointment
- To monitor progress towards the planned care targets for long waits, this week’s publication includes information on those patients waiting longer than two years for an inpatient or day case admission, which have largely arisen due to reduced service capacity during the pandemic. At 30 September 2022, there were 7,650 patients (of a total of 141,991) waiting longer than two years for admission as an inpatient or day case
The response to the COVID-19 pandemic is likely to have a wider impact on health and care as a result of the lockdown, economic pressures and changes to health services.
Since the start of the outbreak, Public Health Scotland (PHS) has been working closely with the Scottish Government and health and care colleagues to support the surveillance and monitoring of COVID-19 amongst the population. There is a large amount of data being regularly published regarding COVID-19 (for example, Coronavirus in Scotland – Scottish Government and Deaths involving coronavirus in Scotland – National Records of Scotland). This report complements the range of existing data currently available
The next release of this publication will be 26 October 2022.
Find out more
Versions of the Weekly national respiratory report publication released before 30 November 2022 may be found on the Public Health Scotland website.
Versions of the COVID-19 weekly statistical report publication released before 30 November 2022 may be found on the Public Health Scotland website.
Open data from this publication is available from the following weblinks:
- The COVID-19 Vaccine Wastage datafile was updated on 14 September 2023 to include the most recent information.
- The COVID-19 in Adult Care Homes in Scotland datafile was updated on 27 July 2023 to include more recent information.
- 28 September 2022 COVID-19 statistical report publication contains information on COVID-19 infection and vaccination in pregnancy in Scotland.
- 2 March 2022 COVID-19 statistical report publication contains information on Highest Risk (shielding patients list)
If you have an enquiry relating to this publication, please email email@example.com.
If you have a media enquiry relating to this publication, please contact the Communications and Engagement team.
Requesting other formats and reporting issues
If you require publications or documents in other formats, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To report any issues with a publication, please email email@example.com.