About this release
This weekly release by Public Health Scotland presents data on COVID-19 across NHSScotland.
- As at 1 June 2020, there have been 15,418 confirmed COVID-19 cases, equating to 282.2 confirmed cases per 100,000 population.
- As at 31 May 2020, the total number of confirmed COVID-19 patients admitted to an Intensive Care Unit was 512, compared to 508 as at 17 May 2020.
- As at 31 May 2020, the average number of patients admitted to an Intensive Care Unit over the previous seven days was less than 1 patient per day.
** please refer to background section for caveat.
Wider impact detailed analysis
The response to the COVID-19 pandemic is likely to have a wider impact on health and care as a result of the lockdown, economic pressures and changes to health services.
A range of analyses on the impact of COVID-19 across aspects of NHS Scotland is available on the interactive information tool (external website).
On 1 March 2020, the first person in Scotland was tested positive for COVID-19. On the 17 March NHS Scotland was placed in an emergency footing by the Cabinet Secretary. Schools have been closed since 20 March and the country has been in lockdown since 23 March. Since the start of the outbreak, Public Health Scotland (PHS) has been working closely with the Scottish Government and health and care colleagues to support the surveillance and monitoring of COVID-19 amongst the population. There is a large amount of data being regularly published regarding COVID-19 (for example, Coronavirus in Scotland – Scottish Government and Deaths involving coronavirus in Scotland – National Records of Scotland). This report complements the range of existing data currently available.
** Counts include any patient with a confirmed positive COVID-19 test (confirmed by linkage to ECOSS) taken prior to discharge from an ICU in Scotland. Counts do not include any COVID-19 suspected cases who have not yet been lab confirmed. Therefore there may be a lag for recent days where patients may still be awaiting the results of COVID-19 tests. Counts do not include any re-admissions from COVID-19 patients previously admitted to an ICU and re-admitted post discharge; counts are unique patients only. Individual patients are identified using their CHI number as recorded within the ICU admissions system. There may be a very small number of patients where CHI was not recorded, for whom linkage to ECOSS for COVID-19 status may not have been possible. Data are correct as at the time of data extract at 9am on Sunday 31 May 2020. Data are reviewed and validated on a continuous basis and so may be subject to change. The COVID-19 pandemic is a rapidly evolving situation.
Find out more
Versions of the Weekly national respiratory report publication released before 30 November 2022 may be found on the Public Health Scotland website
Versions of the COVID-19 weekly statistical report publication released before 30 November 2022 may be found on the Public Health Scotland website
- weekly COVID-19 statistical data in Scotland
- COVID-19 vaccination in Scotland
- COVID-19 dashboard
- Enhanced surveillance of COVID-19 in Scotland
- Hospital onset COVID-19 cases in Scotland
You can also view the open data for the Flu and COVID Winter 2022 Vaccination Programme Uptake
- Deaths involving coronavirus in Scotland – National Records of Scotland (external website)
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Modelling the Epidemic – Scottish Government (external website)
- Hospital onset COVID-19 cases in Scotland – ARHAI
- Ethnicity Data: The COVID-19 statistical report interactive dashboard was updated on 30 November 2022 to include more recent information relating to ethnicity of COVID-19 positives
- 28 September 2022 COVID-19 statistical report publication contains information on COVID-19 infection and vaccination in pregnancy in Scotland.
- 02 March 2022 COVID-19 statistical report publication contains information on Highest Risk (shielding patients list)
If you have an enquiry relating to this publication, please contact email@example.com.
If you have a media enquiry relating to this publication, please contact the Communications and Engagement team.
Requesting other formats and reporting issues
If you require publications or documents in other formats, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To report any issues with a publication, please email email@example.com.