About this release
This weekly release by Public Health Scotland presents data on COVID-19 across NHSScotland.
- As at 01 August 2021, there have been 347,002 confirmed COVID-19 cases; 6,935 of these were recorded in the week ending 01 August 2021, a decrease of 28% from the previous week.
- In the week ending 01 August 2021, 7,306 individuals were recorded in the contact tracing software, from which 16,728 unique contacts have been traced.
- In the week ending 01 August 2021, under the Community Testing Programme 25.4% of symptomatic and 7% of asymptomatic tests for COVID-19 were positive.
- In the week ending 27 July 2021, there were 375 admissions to hospital with a laboratory confirmed test of COVID-19. The highest number of new admissions were seen amongst those aged 50-59 years and 70-79 years.
- The proportion of all people who were admitted to hospital within 14 days of a laboratory confirmed COVID-19 positive test has declined, from 13% in the week commencing 25 January 2021, to 4% in the most recent week commencing 12 July 2021.
- The number of new admissions to Intensive Care Units (ICUs) for confirmed COVID-19 patients has seen a decrease from 49 in the week ending 24 July 2021, to 30 in the week ending 31 July 2021.
- In the week ending 01 August 2021 there were 24,954 people who arrived in Scotland from outside the UK, of which 20,994 were required to quarantine (with 793 quarantined in a hotel).
Additional charts and data are available to view in the interactive dashboard accompanying this report.
Wider impact detailed analysis
The response to the COVID-19 pandemic is likely to have a wider impact on health and care as a result of the lockdown, economic pressures and changes to health services.
A range of analyses on the impact of COVID-19 across aspects of NHS Scotland is available on the interactive information tool (external website).
Since the start of the outbreak, Public Health Scotland (PHS) has been working closely with the Scottish Government and health and care colleagues to support the surveillance and monitoring of COVID-19 amongst the population. There is a large amount of data being regularly published regarding COVID-19. For example, Coronavirus in Scotland – Scottish Government (external website) and Deaths involving coronavirus in Scotland – National Records of Scotland (external website). This report complements the range of existing data currently available.
The next release of this publication will be 11 August 2021.
Find out more
Versions of the Weekly national respiratory report publication released before 30 November 2022 may be found on the Public Health Scotland website.
Versions of the COVID-19 weekly statistical report publication released before 30 November 2022 may be found on the Public Health Scotland website.
Open data from this publication is available from the following weblinks:
- The COVID-19 Vaccine Wastage datafile was updated on 14 September 2023 to include the most recent information.
- The COVID-19 in Adult Care Homes in Scotland datafile was updated on 27 July 2023 to include more recent information.
- 28 September 2022 COVID-19 statistical report publication contains information on COVID-19 infection and vaccination in pregnancy in Scotland.
- 2 March 2022 COVID-19 statistical report publication contains information on Highest Risk (shielding patients list)
If you have an enquiry relating to this publication, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have a media enquiry relating to this publication, please contact the Communications and Engagement team.
Requesting other formats and reporting issues
If you require publications or documents in other formats, please email email@example.com.
To report any issues with a publication, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.