About this release
This release by Public Health Scotland (PHS) presents performance against the National Melanoma Cancer Quality Performance Indicators (QPIs) in the Cancer QPIs dashboard held within the Scottish Cancer Registry and Intelligence Service (SCRIS).
- There were 1,224 people diagnosed with Melanoma Cancer in Scotland from July 2020 to June 2021. This was a decrease from previous years (1,292 people were diagnosed from July 2019 to June 2020 and 1,289 people were diagnosed from July 2018 to June 2019).
- At Scotland level for July 2020 to June 2021, the target was met for six of the 14 indicators.
- Some of the QPI targets have proved challenging to achieve over the three years (QPIs relating to MDT, Examination of Draining Lymph Node Basins, Wide Local Excisions, Time to Wide Local Excisions, Imaging for Patients with advanced Melanoma, Surgical Margins and Clinical Trials).
- It is reassuring however that several QPIs achieved the target nationally (QPIs relating to Diagnostic Biopsy, Pathology Reporting, Sentinel Node Biopsy Pathology, B RAF Status and Systematic Therapy).
- Following a national formal review in late 2021, there will be changes to Melanoma QPIs in future years. Formal reviews help identify where problems in the pathway lie, with a view to a longer term improvement in performance.
National cancer quality performance indicators have been developed to support continuous quality improvement in cancer care (CEL 06 2012). NHS Boards are required to report these indicators against a clinically agreed indicator specific target as part of the mandatory national cancer quality programme. They have been developed collaboratively by North Cancer Alliance, South East Scotland Cancer Network, West of Scotland Cancer Network, Healthcare Improvement Scotland and PHS.
- The Cancer QPIs dashboard is restricted and may be accessed with permission via https://useraccess.nhsnss.scot.nhs.uk
- Network Reports on Melanoma QPIs: NCA, SCAN, WoSCAN
- QPI Definitions and updates on Melanoma Cancer indicators
- PHS QPI Publications
The next release of this publication will be June 2025.
If you have an enquiry relating to this publication, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have a media enquiry relating to this publication, please contact the Communications and Engagement team.
Requesting other formats and reporting issues
If you require publications or documents in other formats, please email email@example.com.
To report any issues with a publication, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.