About this release
A revision to the published data has now been completed and correct as of 9am on 20 April 2022. The dataset now includes data to December 2021 which was previously missing.
The National Therapeutic Indicators (NTIs) are a set of prescribing indicators that are used for quality improvement work. The publication is an update of prescribing data analysis up to December 2021. This visualisation presents information by NHS board, Health and Social Partnership, General Practitioner (GP) practice, GP cluster and practice peer group.
The example indicator below shows:
- The average cost per day of glucose self-monitoring products per person prescribed antidiabetic drugs and/or insulin increased, across Scotland, from 34p in October to December 2020 to 37p in the same period of 2021.
- All NHS boards follow an increase in trend.
- The cost per day was 1.93 times higher in NHS Western Isles (54p) compared to NHS Ayrshire and Arran (28p).
Further information is available from the prescribing webpages (external website).
The data visualisation allows a more in-depth and interactive visual analysis of the current National Therapeutic Indicators paper publication, published by the Effective Prescribing and Therapeutics Division of the Scottish Government. The visualisation includes a presentation of variation and prescribing trends, and comparisons of Health and Social Care Partnerships, GP clusters and practice peer groups. This update also provides a practice level dashboard showing comparisons between indicators, health and social care partnership trends and an NHS board indicator summary.
This interactive visualisation allows the user to look at the variation in prescribing practice between GP practices and should be useful to both prescribers and associated prescribing staff who want an easy to access visualisation view of prescribing data.
A number of interactive views are available that show:
- A dropdown menu of indicators by therapeutic area
- A summary page of indicators by GP practice and NHS board
- A view of each therapeutic indicator at a specific point in time
- The prescribing rate for each indicator over time, for Scotland, NHS Board and GP practice, by cluster, or by peer group
- A comparison of data at three different time points for NHS Boards, Health and Social Care Partnerships and GP Clusters
This is the latest release of the data visualisation and further developments will follow, as prioritised by a steering group for this work which is commissioned by the Effective Prescribing and Therapeutics division of the Scottish Government. The update includes expanded detail for a number of indicators to help aid clinicians and prescribing advisers.
The next release of this publication will be July 2022.
If you have an enquiry relating to this publication, please email email@example.com.
If you have a media enquiry relating to this publication, please contact the Communications and Engagement team.
Requesting other formats and reporting issues
If you require publications or documents in other formats, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To report any issues with a publication, please email email@example.com.