Public Health Scotland aims to proactively publish data for which there is a wide demand so that it is freely available to all. Public Health Scotland also releases data through bespoke information products, commonly via the Scottish Health Information Service, to NHS and partner organisations.
Should you require information that requires bespoke new analysis of health and care data held in our national databases this can be requested via our Information Request Service.
Any request which requires new bespoke analysis to be undertaken is provided via our Information Request Service. This is dependent upon available resources as priority goes to core business activities for which Public Health Scotland receives funding from the Scottish Government and associated bodies. Requests are also subject to Public Health Scotland's overarching rules relating to statistical governance, and provided that:
- Other information already published or held by Public Health Scotland, for example a response to a previous information request, is not suitable
- The customer has stated clearly what information they require and, if possible, why, to enable Public Health Scotland analysts to understand the request and to provide the most relevant and useful response.
Depending upon the resource required to undertake an Information Request a charge may be applied to recover costs.
Public Health Scotland sometimes receives requests for information on aspects of health and care in Scotland with reference to Freedom of Information legislation. Where these cannot be answered using existing or directly available information then Public Health Scotland will aim to provide the information through the Information Request Service, as detailed above. This may include charging as outlined in Public Health Scotland's Information Request Service Charging Policy.
For further information see:
- Information Request protocol (PDF)
- Information Request Charging policy (PDF)
- Disclosure protocol (PDF)
if you cannot find the information you require on the website and would like to Information Request Service, you can use our form.